1962 tube stock

1962 - 1995 Central line
1979 - ? Piccadilly line
1984 - 1999 Northern line

The 1959 and 1962 stock where similar and treated as one stock. The 1959 stock operated between 1959 and 2000 and the 1962 between 1962 and 1999

1962 tube stock

The 1960 stock was intended to be used on the [[Central line]], twelve motor carriages where supplied from Cravens and where paired with two converted Standard stock trailers to make up four-carriage trains. The production run of 338 motor carriages was shelved because of the time to assess the new features and the cost of converting the trailers, which where later replaced with trailers from the [[1938 stock]].

These where used as a test-bed for the introduction of Automatic Train Operation (ATO), where the control signals are relayed through the running rails and the control of the moving train, apart from the initial command to start when leaving a station is managed through a ‘back-box‘ controller. In preparation for Automatic Train Operation (ATO) to be implemented on the [[Victoria line]], the section between Woodford and Hainault on the [[Central line]] was converted. Three trains were converted back to manual operation in 1986 and served the Epping to Ongar section of the [[Central line]] as a peak-time shuttle, the fourth train was converted into a track recording locomotive and still works on the network today. Another train is owned privately and is used on rail-tours over the London Underground network.

The 1960 stock was apart of a similar solution to the [[1938 stock]], consisting of twelve motor carriages construed by Cravens of Sheffield, incorporating a number of features which where anticipated for a major batch order of vehicles to replace the Standard stock in use on the [[Central line]]. The plan was to proceed with an order of 338 motor carriages, however, the new features took longer to evaluate than the available time and the refurbishment of the [[Central line]] was achieved by using the 1962 stock, which was based on the [[1959 stock]]. Many of the design and features were incorporated into the [[1967 stock]] which ran on the Victoria line from its opening.

Twelve aluminium-bodied motor carriages where ordered in 1958 from Cravens in 1958, each where equip with four traction motors, previous rolling stock had two traction motors. The motors were controlled by a Pneumatic Camshaft Motor (PCM) controller, where an air-operated camshaft controlled the switching of the motors which was governed by an accelerating relay, which proved reliable to control the two motors. To control the four motors without a re-design, pairs of motors were wired together in a series and the control switch between the four motors operating in series the two pairs operated in parallel. To protect against wheel spin the controller automatically reset if one of the pair of motors began working faster than the other. Previously the bogies had been designed asymmetrically to ensure more weight was carried by the axle which was driven by the motor, the pivot was centralised to allow for every axle to carry a motor. Another innovation was the fully automatic couplers located at the ends of the trains and where not handled, previously trains where equip with ‘A‘ and ‘D‘ ends and could only be coupled by joining the ‘A‘ end to a ‘D‘ end on another carriage, this design caused various operating problems, particularly on the Central line when a train passed through the Hainault loop it resulted in the train facing the wrong way. This problem was alleviated by duplicating the connections in the automatic coupler, allowing the trains to be coupled either way around. The carriages where equip with flat floors, rather than having a rising translation into the double doorways, to a steep curved floor 10.2cm (4in) higher at either end of the carriage over the bogies.

The first 1960 stock trains entered into service on 9 November 1960, the motor carriages where numbered 3900 - 3911, when delivered from Cravens the first carriages numbered 3900 and 3901 but where renumbered 3900 and 3901 before entering service, furthermore each train incorporated two refurbished [[1923 stock|Standard stock]] carriages. The two units where then coupled together to provide an eight-carriage train. The stock was initially planned to operate over the whole of the [[Central line]], but was scaled back to the Hainault loop. A major factor for introducing the 1962 stock to the [[Central line]] rather than upgrading using the 1960 stock was the cost of refurbishing the [[1923 stock|Standard stock]] carriages that would be needed to provide the [[Central line]] service.

The 1960 stock carriages where initially coupled to two modernised [[1923 stock|Standard stock]] trailers, numbering 4900 - 4911, originally being numbered from 4000. The work to convert the trailers included the fitting of fluorescent lighting, the addition of door indicator lights on the outside of the carriages, and the painting of the exterior silver to match the unpainted aluminium of the motor carriages. Four of the trailers were constructed in 1927 and included two sets of double central doors, two of the carriages where rebuilt to allow for the addition of single doors at each end. The remainder if the trailers where from the 1931 back of Standard stock, these were built with extra single doors when they were constructed, four of these carriages where fitted with de-icing gear and carried a ‘D‘ below the running number to indicate this. The trailers where in need of serious maintenance by 1974 and the decision was made to replace them with single [[1938 stock]] trailers marshalled between the two motor carriages, reducing the trains from to four to three carriages. The work to convert the trains included fitting two compressors into the trailers, where the previous Standard stock trailers had been fitted with one each, however the works where expensive and only three sets where completed.

Between 1975 and 1983 the [[1923 stock|Standard stock]] trailers where withdrawn and the converted 1938 trailers entered service, numbering 4921, 4927 and 4929. The discovery of asbestos in some of the motor carriages delayed the process, two further four-carriage trains where refurbished at Hainault depot between 1980 and 1981. A visible difference between the carriages was the trailers were painted white rather than silver and a sixth train was used for track recording. A further 1938 trailer carriage was converted, numbered TRC912, however it was never used and was scrapped in 2006 by Booths in their Rotherham plant.

Limited trials of Automatic Train Operation (ATO) in 1963 on the [[District line]] identified the lightly used route between Woodford and Hainault on the [[Central line]] would be an ideal testing ground for full Automatic Train Operation (ATO) in preparation for its introduction on the [[Victoria line]]. Five out of the six 1960-stock trains were converted for use with Automatic Train Operation (ATO) at Acton Works, the side doors to the drivers cabin where sealed to allow for access from the passenger saloon. The trains would be operated under a one-person-operation system, therefore the door controls were moved into the motor cabin, the control equipment was fitted underneath the central seats, and consisted of a ‘black-box‘ which interpreted signals from the two running rails which would be relayed by sensing coils mounted on the leading bogie. One rail was used to supply safety information, which is received continuously and any failure to obtain any information would result in the trip-valve operating and stopping the train. The second rail was used to supply signal commands, including speed signals and instructions to start or stop the train, this information was only provided as it was needed. The train drivers position was renamed train operator, to reflect the changes to their role, where the train operator was now responsible for the opening and closing of the doors at stations, initiating the start sequence from the stations by pressing two buttons simultaneously; the remainder of the operations, stopping at signals and restarting the train when it was safe was automatic. The first automatic train entered service on 5 April 1964, with the automatic control equipment temporarily mounted in the passenger saloon between the first set of doors and the drivers cabin to enable engineers to monitor and adjust the system as experience was gained.

A unit was used to test a system of fully automatic train control between Woodford and Hainault in the early 1980s, the original equipment had reached its intended life expectancy in 1986 and three trains were converted for manual one-person-operation. One three-carriage train operated between Epping and Ongar on the [[Central line]] as a peak shuttle, this was closed in September 1994 and the 1960 stock was withdrawn from service at the same time.

One 1960 stock trains is still owned by London Underground and is used as a track recording unit, operating with a [[1973 stock]] centre trailer. Asbestos contamination on the original 1960 track recording carriages led to them being scrapped and two retired motors were converted to replace them. A second unit is owned by Cravens Heritage Trains and is kept in Ruislip depot, occasionally being used for filming and rail-tours since its purchase in 1995.

DM T NDM DM Location
3907 4927 3906 London Underground: Northfields depot (4927 actually 1938 stock)
3911 Buckinghamshire Railway Centre (Cab only)

1962 stock

The 1962 stock was constructed for use on the [[Central line]] by Metro-Cammell and the British Rail workshops in Derby. Each unit consisted of four vehicles with two driving-motors, a trailer and a non-driving motor, creating the formation DM + T + NDM + DM, a train normally consisted of two units working in multiple forming an eight-carriage train.

The stock would replace the [[1923 stock|Standard stock]] currently in operation on the line, and was urgently needed following two fires on [[1923 stock|Standard stock]] units, one in 1958 and the other in 1960 which resulted in the hospitalisation of passengers. These experiences and the rapidly increasing breakdowns hastened the need to replace these trains, which dated back to the 1920s.

An order to the Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon produced 338 driving motors and 112 non-driving motors further to 169 trailers being constructed by British Railways from their workshops in Derby, producing a total of 619 carriages. Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon where in financial difficulty and in 1961 asked if they could be relieved from their contract, the order was subsequently transferred to Metro-Cammell and delivered as a continuation of the [[1959 stock]].

Metro-Cammell, as a part of their contract for the [[1959 stock]], where requested to construct an additional 57 non-driving motors to allow for eight-carriage trains of [[1959 stock]] to be formed to replace the trains on the [[Central line]], such was their urgency. The first 1962 stock train formed of eight-carriages entered service on 12 April 1962, with the entire fleet in service by 17 May 1964. When this was completed the 1959 stock was transferred back to the [[Piccadilly line]], with the exclusion of the 57 additional non-driving motors which where integrated into the trains operating on the [[Central line]], this allowed the [[Central line]] to operate an eight-carriage service across all of its services. The trains were formed: DM + T + NDM +DM - DM + T + NDM + DM

The [[1959 stock]] and 1962 stocks where virtually identical, the [[1959 stock]] had been intended for use on the [[Piccadilly line]] however a series of improvements were introduced to the 1962 stock resulting from the experience with the earlier trains. A major improvement was the use of alternators for the auxiliary supplies using static rectification rather than motor generator sets, the drivers brake valve used a more reliable poppet valve rather than rotary type face valves and the electro-pneumatic valves used plug in connectors which sped up replacements and reduced the number of faults due to poor electrical connections.

The 1962 stock was in need of a replacement by the early 1990s, this came in the form of the [[1992 stock]] which was developed from a prototype 1986 stock. The last passenger service on the [[Central line]] for the 1962 stock was on 17 February 1995, where some of the stock was transferred to the [[Northern line]] to allow for the withdrawal of the non-standard 1956 stock units. The 1962 stocks service on the Northern line was short lived, with the last passenger service occurring on 11 November 1999.

There are several units which have survived as departmental vehicles in addition to twelve carriages, unit numbers 1416 + 1494 and 1744, being sold to the Epping Ongar Railway, however these were scrapped after being destroyed by vandals while stabbed in Ongar.

DM T NDM DM Location
1506 2506 9507 1507 London Underground: Hainault depot
1670 1671 London Transport Museum: Acton depot (Both cabins only)

Key dates

12 April 1962 First [[Central line]] service
17 October 1979 Last operation of Aldwych shuttle
1984 First [[Northern line]] Service
17 February 1995 Last operation [[Central line]]
11 November 1999 Last [[Northern line]] service